History: A small surface area of 50 hectares, a multitude of proprietors, more than 80, a history over 900 years old: this is how, to sum up Clos de Vougeot.
Originally owned by the Cistercian monks, it was not until the 17th century that the wines from this terroir were classified under the designation of Clos de Vougeot. On February 17th, 1791 it was confiscated from the religious governor of Gilly and declared national.
The Clos was then passed from person to person: Comte de Rochachouard, Comtesse de Montalembert, the Marquis de Lagarde, Jules Million… In 1889 Jules Million resold the Clos, dissected among several proprietors and negociants.
The Clos is situated on oolitic limestone. On the surface, the limestone is covered by clay and limestone scree resulting from water erosion. The depth of the screen varies, from several decimetres at the highest point of the close to more than a meter at the bottom.
About the Wine Maker
Chantal works all her wines in the same manner. She says that each vineyard just yields different material to work with. So, each of her wines tastes a bit different to reflect the various vineyards where she owns vines. Furthermore, she likes to let the winemaking process happen naturally. She feels that great fruit from great vineyards will make world-class wines if the winemaker simply oversees the process. And her approach works. Chantal’s wines all have a similar style — powerful structure marked by finesse and elegance.
A powerful and firm wine, austere at the height of its youth. Sometimes tight tannins on the finish; requires a minimum of 12 years before revealing all of its complexity. Very ripe, black fruit aromas with spicy notes.
Bottle Size: 750ml
Bottles Per Case: 12